Rodri became one of the biggest moves of the summer transfer market after joining Barcelona, which presented him on Tuesday. The negotiations had been ongoing for some time and Real Madrid had advanced in conversations with the Spanish midfielder, winner of the award for best player at the World Cup.
José Mourinho acknowledged in an interview on El Chiringuito that Madrid made contact with Rodri on several occasions, although the player was more convinced by Barcelona's proposal. According to Mourinho, the doubts Rodri expressed created uncertainty for the Madrid side. "What I think has happened is that the doubts he has had have created doubts in me," the Madrid manager said.
Mourinho denied that Rodri's failure to arrive represents a shortcoming for the team. "I don't miss Rodri. We have solutions, quality and players that you analyse for what they have done," he said, adding that he believes he has "the ability to make them better". The manager also ruled out that Barcelona acted irregularly. "I don't think Barcelona acted to steal Rodri from Madrid," he clarified.
Mourinho said Madrid's relationship with Manchester City, the club Rodri came from, was good during the negotiations. However, he stressed that an institution of Madrid's stature requires players without hesitation. "I think Madrid is of a dimension that cannot have players who think twice about it," he concluded, wishing the player success in his new chapter.



